Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Abide In Him, He Will Complete His Work

I knew when we looked at John 15 that Gene would really add a lot to our conversation. Gene is always encouraging us to abide in in Jesus. I would venture to say that this may be his life verse. (I could be wrong.) He encourages us to remain connected to Jesus through the Word of God and prayer.

How important is it that we remain (abide) in Him? John 15:5 says, "..apart from me you can do nothing." Let me repeat, NOTHING! Any good that man claims apart from Jesus is dung.

Another verse that Gene encourages us with is Philippians 1:6, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

We are God's work. Imagine that. All that we are, have, and do, is the work of God! That blows me away!

Back to John 15, verses four and five says, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Sometimes in order to produce more fruit, we need to be pruned. That can be painful at times. I'm sure in your life as well as in mine, we can look back at difficult times and see the hand of God. Also in the midst of these times we can find comfort knowing that it is the work of the Lord.

Gene is constantly encouraging us to abide in Christ. Gene also reminds us that we are the work of God and He will complete His work. I'm encouraged, I hope you are too.

No comments: